Try turning the sample 180 degrees to see if the deflection is in the opposite direction.If so likely magnetism.

-------- Original message --------From: John Donovan <[log in to unmask]> Date: 11/29/16  10:01 AM  (GMT-08:00) To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Re: [PROBEUSERS] Weird beam deflection issue: magnetism? charging? other?

    Hi Julien,
    Not only can samples be magnetic, but I have observed that the
      electron beam can actually "induce" magnetism in some alloys.

    There is an extended discussion of these effects here:
    http://probesoftware.com/smf/index.php?topic=354.0
    john

    On 11/28/2016 7:59 PM, Julien Allaz