Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: January 19, 2017
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, January 19,
2017 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

We are in the midst of a January thaw in the northwest, and we are all
hoping that it doesn't get too crazy and create ice for the rest of the
winter. Of course we are under no illusions that winter is over just
yet. Bird activity has been slow in this area, but some folks are
finding a few.

Wayne Perala in Fergus Falls, Otter Tail County reported a RING-NECKED
PHEASANT on January 17. The BARROW'S GOLDENEYE, COMMON GOLDENEYES, and
HOODED MERGANSERS are still in Fergus Falls as of January 18. Jann Kline
reported a MOURNING DOVE in Otter Tail County on January 15.

Shelley Steva reported LAPLAND LONGSPURS and several flocks of SNOW
BUNTINGS in western Polk County and in Red Lake County on January 15.

Here in Thief River Falls , Pennington County, I found a flock of about
100 BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS on January 13. Today we were only able to locate a
small flock. Shelley Steva found both LAPLAND LONGSPURS and SNOW
BUNTINGS in Pennington County also on January 13. Ten SNOW BUNTINGS were
seen today on Johnson Drive just east of the city OF Thief River Falls.

In Beltrami County, Hal Sanders observed five MALLARDS on 3-Island River
in Beltrami Island Park on January 12.

A GREAT GRAY OWL was reported by both Noah Kuck and Chris Bechtold in
the Roseau area on January 14.

Thanks to all who reported sightings this week.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, January 26,
2017

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN