Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: May 11, 2017
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, May 11, 2017 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

Flowers are appearing in the northern woods this week, and migrants are flooding in. I will not mention all the sightings but in general warblers are moving north with the southernmost counties reporting most. Most of the sparrows are here in the north with the last of the non-resident ones showing up this week. Generally, the warbler wave has reached Hubbard and Becker Counties and we are starting to see them in Polk and Pennington, with the greatest number in the Red River Valley. Flycatchers are coming too, and vireos are starting to be seen.

In Beltrami County, Katie Haws has reported a WESTERN TANAGER at her home in Hines on May 10. Robin Reeve reported HARRIS'S SPARROW in Bemidji on May 10.

The GLAUCOUS GULL at the Thief River Falls WTP in Pennington County was seen as recently as May 7, but I have no reports since then. A LINCOLN'S SPARROW was in our back yard on May 10, and ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK arrived on May 11.

In Red Lake County, Becca Engdahl saw the continuing LONG-TAILED DUCK at the Red Lake Falls WTP on May 5. I saw a nice selection of other ducks there also that day.

From Polk County, Sandy Aubol reported WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW on May 7, BROWN THRASHER on May 8, and she saw ten species of warblers along the Red River on May 8. On May 10, there was GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER, OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, CHIMNEY SWIFT , and SWAINSONS THRUSH.

Patrick Beauzay reported a BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO in Clay County on May 8.

A SAY'S PHOEBE was seen at Fig Lake Farm in Becker County on May 5.

From Hubbard County, Marshall Howe reported that the warblers have arrived in that county. Other species seen this week included BLUE-HEADED VIREO, and BALTIMORE ORIOLE on May 9, GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER, HOUSE WREN, PURPLE MARTIN, and VEERY on May 10. Also on May 10 a CASPIAN TERN was seen. EASTERN WOOD-PEWEE came on May 11.

Alma Ronningen reported RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD and BALTIMORE ORIOLE in Otter Tail County on May 10. BLACKPOLL and HOUSE WREN were seen on May 11. Wayne Perala observed GREEN HERON, GREAT EGRET, GREAT BLUE HERON, HERMIT THRUSH, and CEDAR WAXWING on May 5 in Fergus Falls. On May 9, BLUE-HEADED VIREO, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW and GRASSHOPPER SPARROW were seen.

Gary and Marion Otnes saw a CASPIAN TERN on Lake Christina in Douglas County on May 6.

Wayne Perala saw AMERICAN AVOCET and WILSON'S PHALAROPE at the North Ottawa Impoundment in Grant County on May 7.

Thanks to all who sent in sightings this week. They all helped to complete the picture.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, May 18, 2017

Jeanie Joppru Pennington County, MN