Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: August 31, 2017
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, August 31,
2017 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

Warbler migration is in full swing throughout the state this week, and
observers in all counties reported several species . Common nighthawks
are migrating through the state right now ; I was birding in Polk,
Pennington, Marshall, and Red Lake Counties on the weekend and saw them
in all four counties. Red Crossbills continue to be reported, and
although we were able to find them in the above four counties on the
weekend, they are nowhere near as easy to find in these counties as they
are in central Minnesota. Red-tailed hawks are being seen on many power
poles these days as the young get ready to move south.

RED CROSSBILLS were found at Manston Marsh WMA in Wilkin County, at Pine
Ridge County Park in Grant County, and at Wildwood Cemetery in Traverse
County on August 26 by Howard Towle, Paul Budde, and Doug Kieser.

Marshall Howe reported 25 RED CROSSBILLS in Park Rapids in Hubbard
County on August 24. He also reported VEERY and EASTERN KINGBIRD on
August 24, NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH, PURPLE FINCH, ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK,
and RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH on August 25, at least 100 migrating COMMON
NIGHTHAWKS on August 29, and EASTERN WOOD-PEWEE on August 31.

The WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE was still being seen and heard at Buffalo River
SP as of August 27.

In Polk County, a group of us found RED CROSSBILLS at Memorial Cemetery
in Crookston on August 26. There were also many CHIPPING SPARROWS, and
CEDAR WAXWINGS there.

Bob Jansson was birding in Red Lake County yesterday and today where he
found 11 species of warblers at Huot including BAY-BREASTED WARBLER,
BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER, MAGNOLIA WARBLER, BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER,
NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH, OVENBIRD and CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER; he also found
YELLOW-THROATED VIREO, WARBLING VIREO, PHILADELPHIA VIREO, and RED-EYED
VIREO. We saw RED CROSSBILLS at Oak Grove Cemetery east of Red Lake
Falls on August 26, but they were not seen there today. We also observed
PINE SISKINS and GRAY CATBIRD.

RED CROSSBILLS were found along 180th St. NE about ¾ mile east of CR 20
in Pennington County on August 27.

In Marshall County, we found RED CROSSBILLS in Middle River, but only
two of them.

Nancy Glenn reported a WESTERN TANAGER in Beltrami County near Fox Lake
north of Lake Bemidji on August 27.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, September
7, 2017.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN