Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: August 10, 2017
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, August 10,
2017 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

We have survived the very hot days, and now we are enjoying beautiful
sunny weather in the high seventies and low eighties, but we are very
dry in the northwest. Since the snow left, we have had very little rain,
most coming in quarter inch amounts. Needless to say crops are
suffering, and with each weather system we watch it pass by without
dropping a drop. Many young birds are coming to feeders now so we are
challenged to identify the young.

Shelley Steva and I went to the Agassiz impoundment on August 6, where
we found hundreds of shorebirds in easy viewing distance. We were able
to identify 12 species at the impoundments including an AMERICAN
GOLDEN-PLOVER, several SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS, and a RED-NECKED PHALAROPE.
Also there were many DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS, AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS,
and several GREAT BLUE HERONS. Most were on the Marshall County side.

In Pennington County, Allyson Engelstad reported several SANDHILL
CRANES, a MERLIN, and a large group of BLACK-BILLED MAGPIES southeast of
Thief River Falls on August 6. Here at our feeder, a group of 12-15 PINE
SISKINS are hanging out this week.

In Clay County, several people have observed the WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE at
Buffalo River SP this week. Noah Kuck also saw a COOPER'S HAWK fly by.
The SAY’S PHOEBE was seen last weekend at Felton Prairie.

Mark Otnes saw RED CROSSBILLS on Ponsford River Road in Becker County on
August 10.

In Hubbard County, Becca Engdahl reported an AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER at
Willow Pond near LaPorte on August 10. Marshall Howe heard RED
CROSSBILLS in Park Rapids on August 8.

In Otter Tail County at Fergus Falls , and at Broken-down dam, Wayne
Perala found OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER,
YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER, and LEAST FLYCATCHER on August 4.

An UPLAND SANDPIPER was seen by Howard Towle at the Rothsay WMA in
Wilkin County on August 10.

At the N. Ottawa impoundment in Grant County, Wayne Perala reported on
August 7 that he saw EARED GREBES with chicks, and BLACK-NECKED STILTS,
but no king rails. There were many shorebirds visible looking down from
the gazebo there. BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS and AMERICAN BITTERNS were
also seen. Charlene Nelson reported a juvenile NORTHERN CARDINAL at
their farm near Elbow Lake on August 7.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, August 17,
2017.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN