Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: September 14, 2017
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, September
14, 2017 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce.
You may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or
1-800-433-1888.

Migration is proceeding rapidly these last few days. Soon we will be
into the time when woods are completely quiet, and feeders are full of
our winter visitors. Leaves are turning quickly during the last few days
in the northwest. The ash trees are glowing with their golden yellow
fall garb. The first big wind will bring their leaves down and other
colors will take their place.

At the N. Ottawa Impoundment, Wayne Perala found a BUFF-BREASTED
SANDPIPER , some PECTORAL SANDPIPERS, and AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVERS on
September 13. Charlene Nelson reported RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET,
WHITE-THROATED SPARROW, and LINCOLN'S SPARROW on September 11 near Elbow
Lake; AMERICAN REDSTART, NASHVILLE WARBLER, TENNESSEE WARBLER, WILSON’S
WARBLER, COMMON NIGHTHAWKS, and HOUSE WREN were observed on September 11
.

From Hubbard County, Marshall Howe reported PINE SISKINS this week. On
September 9th he saw YELLOW-THROATED VIREO, on 9-11 , COMMON NIGHTHAWK
and NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH. On September 12 he recorded BAY-BREASTED
WARBLER, CANADA WARBLER, and AMERICAN WOODCOCK. A warbler wave came
through on September 13 including NASHVILLE WARBLER and YELLOW-RUMPED
WARBLER.

Sandy Aubol in East Grand Forks, Polk County, reported migrant sparrows
in her yard this week including HARRIS'S SPARROW, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW
, and WHITE-THROATED SPARROW. Warblers seen this week included
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER and ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER. An EASTERN TOWHEE used
her bird bath and a RED CROSSBILL flew over the yard yesterday.

In Pennington County, Gary Tischer reported 35 TURKEY VULTURES seen
today, September 14, along CR 62 not far from Challenger school. Here in
our yard, yesterday I saw a BROWN CREEPER going up one of our trees.
Today, I had NASHVILLE WARBLER, many PINE SISKINS, and NORTHERN FLICKER.
One or two RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRDS remain, but the BALTIMORE ORIOLES
are gone. Two young GRAY CATBIRDS came this week to grab some of the
cranberries that I was hoping to harvest for jelly for the first time
this year! The bush is proving to be a good bird feeder, but I don't
expect to get any of the fruit.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, September
21, 2017.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN