The ring forms from Buehler that Owen mentioned work very well.  I have used for 10 years with no issues.  They work for both EMPA and Ion Probe mounts.

-Jack

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 8:44 AM, Owen Neill <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Our lab also uses the Struers mounts, and they are quite effective. You can use vaseline as the mould releasing chemical - coat the walls of the mould in vaseline, pour or arrange your grains on the bottom, and pour the epoxy in over it. The only drawback is you can't use hot-cure epoxy like Petropoxy because the moulds will melt at those temperatures.

That said, the rings you're looking for are, I believe, still sold by Buehler - part #208151100, https://shop.buehler.com/ring-forms-plastic-1odx34

Good luck,
OKN

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 8:18 AM, Aylward, Wanda <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Our labs regularly make the epoxy mounts using materials from Struers.  The below is forwarded on John Hanchar's behalf:

"Struers sells them made of polyethylene but they need to be lined with a mould releasing chemical  (silicone oil also from Struers) that dries and keeps the epoxy from adhering to the walls. Note, they are 25 mm diameter and not one inch (25.4 mm) which is preferred for most EPMA, LA, and SIMS applications."

Cheers

Wanda

-----Original Message-----
From: JEOL-Focused Probe Users List [mailto:[log in to unmask]DU] On Behalf Of John H Fournelle
Sent: October-20-17 9:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PROBEUSERS] in search of 1" diameter cylinders for epoxy mounting grains for EPMA

Last time I checked, all the suppliers were no longer carrying these cylinders. Someoine just asked me so I pass this on to the list; do you know of a supplier (at reasonable cost) of these cylinders (fiberboard I think they were). Please respond to the list if you know of a supplier. Otherwise the solution is finding the proper OD tubie/pipe and cutting it.

Thanks.

John

****
JEOL Probe Users Listserver

Moderator: Anette von der Handt, [log in to unmask], Electron Microprobe Lab, University of Minnesota

****

--
Dr. Owen K. Neill
Manager, Electron Microbeam Analysis Laboratory