Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: March 22, 2018
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, March 22,
2018 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also see this report on the Chamber of Commerce website:
https://www.visitdetroitlakes.com/birding-report

Spring seems to have arrived in the northwest, even though we are
promised more snow. Weather has been mild and much of our snow has
melted. Birds are streaming north , with rough-legged hawks, and horned
larks leading the charge. The first Canada goose scouts have arrived at
least as far north as Pennington County, and I suspect, probably all the
way to the Canadian border. There are now large numbers of rough-legged
hawks in the grassland areas, and a few northern harriers are being
reported. Trumpeter swans can be found throughout the northwest, and
bald eagles are paired up and on the nests. There is still little or no
open water in the northern part of the area, although a few smaller
streams are opening up in the southern part.

At the North Ottawa Impoundment in Grant County, Wayne Perala found
TRUMPETER SWANS, MALLARDS, GREAT HORNED OWL, and WESTERN MEADOWLARK on
March 18.

In Otter Tail County near the Orwell Dam, Wayne reported TRUMPETER
SWANS, TUNDRA SWAN, NORTHERN HARRIER, ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK, AMERICAN
KESTREL, and RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD on March 18. Alma Ronningen in Dent
reported SANDHILL CRANES this week. On March 19, she saw a NORTHERN
HARRIER, and on the 22nd an EASTERN BLUEBIRD.

Shelley Steva and I were in Becker County on March 18 where we found
TRUMPETER SWANS, CANADA GEESE, and COMMON REDPOLLS at Tamarac NWR, and
HORNED LARKS everywhere.

HORNED LARKS, TRUMPETER SWANS, and ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS were also seen in
Norman County on March 18.

The first report of HARRIS SPARROW in Polk County came from Sandy Aubol
on March 19. On March 17, Sandy found CANADA GEESE, TRUMPETER SWANS,
BALD EAGLES, NORTHERN HARRIER, and 30 ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS at Glacial
Ridge NWR. At Rydell NWR, she reported TRUMPETER SWANS, and a single
MALLARD at Erskine.

Here in Pennington County, two DARK-EYED JUNCOS showed up in the yard on
March 18.

Connie Cox at Itasca SP reported CANADA GOOSE and TRUMPETER SWAN on
March 16. PURPLE FINCHES were seen at the east entrance to the park, and
on March 20, a GREAT BLUE HERON returned.

In Roseau County, Beth Siverhus reported 60 BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS in the
town of Warroad this week, as well as a flock of PINE GROSBEAKS.
Elsewhere in the county, a NORTHERN GOSHAWK was reported, and in the
Beltrami Island State Forest, she observed RED CROSSBILL, RUFFED GROUSE,
and COMMON REDPOLLS.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's numbers 218-847-5743 or 218- 847-9202. Please include the
county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this
report is Thursday, March 29, 2018

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN