Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: March 1, 2018
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, March 1,
2018 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

We are starting to see some evidence of migration now with some reports
of horned larks in the north, and further south, some waterfowl are also
being reported. The northwest has varying levels of snow cover, but the
ditches are full in the Thief River Falls area. Open fields have
differing amounts of snow and a few days will change the landscape
quickly. Fewer snowy owls were reported this week, but I note that
several barred owls have been reported.

From Becker County, Dave and Betty Hochhalter reported RED-BELLIED
WOODPECKER, PINE GROSBEAK, COMMON REDPOLL, and a COMMON GRACKLE in their
yard in Detroit Lakes this week.

In Polk County, Shelley Steva reported HORNED LARKS on February 24. Two
GOLDEN EAGLES were seen by Terry Johnson two miles south of Sherack on
February 24. A SNOWY OWL in Polk County was observed by Allyson
Engelstad.

Shelley Steva reported HORNED LARKS also in Red Lake County on March 1.
A BARRED OWL was visiting the home of Jenny Stonehouse on February 23.

A BARRED OWL spent the late afternoon of February 24 in our yard east of
Thief River Falls, Pennington County. I also had PINE GROSBEAKS, and
BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS here . Allyson Engelstad observed BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS
elsewhere in Pennington County this week as did Shelley Steva. HORNED
LARKS were also reported in Pennington County.

Sue Keeler reported a BARRED OWL in Itasca County this week.

From Roseau County Beth Siverhus reported PINE GROSBEAKS, and PILEATED
WOODPECKER in Warroad. On her way down into the Beltrami Island State
Forest, she also saw 6 SNOW BUNTINGS, 4 SHARP-TAILED GROUSE, a NORTHERN
GOSHAWK, and GRAY JAY. Carol Birkeland observed a WILD TURKEY between
Roseau and Greenbush on February 22.

At Norris Camp in Lake of the Woods County, Gretchen Mehmel listed GRAY
JAY, COMMON REDPOLL, HOARY REDPOLL, PINE GROSBEAK and RED-BREASTED
NUTHATCH. A half mile west of Faunce , she saw a RED CROSSBILL.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, March 8,
2018.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN