Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: September 20, 2018
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 218-847-5743 or 218-847-9202
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, September
20, 2018 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce.
You may also see this report on the Chamber of Commerce website:
https://www.visitdetroitlakes.com/birding-report

There is no doubt that fall is here now in the northwest. The wind blows
the rain against the windows, and temperatures were in the low fifties
all day. Birds are busy at the feeders, but humans are hunkered down
inside. This week has seen much migration and now we are starting to see
birds that we will see all winter, or at least until Christmas. There
are reports or white-throated sparrows and red-breasted nuthatches from
several counties as far south as Grant.

One sighting of particular note is a WOOD STORK seen by Todd Sorenson a
mile east of Hallock on September 13. Unfortunately, the bird flew away
and he was unable to re-locate it. That points up something we need to
be doing at this time of year- looking for species that may be off
course, or wandering beyond their usual areas.

At the N Ottawa impoundment in Grant County this week, a variety of
shorebirds were reported including three AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVERS on
September 16. Jerry Pruett found SNOWY EGRETS, and WHITE-FACED IBIS
there on September 19. Charlene Nelson near Elbow Lake reported
RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH on September 12, and WHITE-THROATED SPARROW and
RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET ON September 19.

A SOLITARY SANDPIPER was observed in Douglas County near Evansville on
September 18 by Terry Carr.

From Polk County, Sandy Aubol reported on September 19 that the
WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS, HARRIS'S SPARROW, and
FOX SPARROW were in her East Grand Forks yard by September 19. Some of
those have been there for a week now. On September 17, she reported
RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, and ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER
which were new additions for this fall.

Here in Pennington County, we have had substantial numbers of
RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES, NORTHERN FLICKERS, and YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS
in the yard this week. On September 18, I saw PALM WARBLER, and BELTED
KINGFISHER. On the 20th, we were treated to a flock of about 25 BLUE
JAYS under the feeders, also WHITE-THROATED SPARROW and PURPLE FINCH.

In Hallock , Kittson County, Todd Sorenson reported several EURASIAN
COLLARED-DOVES this fall.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's numbers 218-847-5743 or 218- 847-9202. Please include the
county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this
report is Thursday, September 27, 2018

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN