Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: December 20, 2018
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 218-847-5743 or 218-847-9202
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, December
20, 2018 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce.
You may also see this report on the Chamber of Commerce website:
https://www.visitdetroitlakes.com/birding-report

What pleasant weather we have been having in the northwest, although
some of us would like a little more snow. There is promise of a weather
change soon when we will get some more. Bird activity at the feeders has
been up and down in the past days, and in most cases , restricted to
those species that usually overwinter with us. That said, we seem to be
having somewhat of a mini irruption of varied thrushes within the last
two weeks as I know of sightings in at least four counties in the
northwest- Pennington, Becker, Todd, and Clay, along with Hennipen and
Lake Counties.

A NORTHERN CARDINAL was observed by Jack Fritz in east Otter Tail County
on December 18.

From Todd County, Rob Freeman reported a VARIED THRUSH near Long Prairie
on December 19.

GRAY CATBIRD and CANADA JAY were seen by Alex Burchard in Hubbard County
on December 15.

Another VARIED THRUSH was tallied on the Detroit Lakes CBC in Becker
County , and Ron Erpelding found RED CROSSBILLS at Tamarac NWR on
December 19. Lee Kensinger saw a BARRED OWL in his yard in Detroit Lakes
on December 16.

A FOX SPARROW and a CHIPPING SPARROW are still coming to the feeder of
Sandy Aubol in East Grand Forks, Polk County.

In Pennington County, a VARIED THRUSH was reported by Avis Frazer in her
yard in Goodridge. This bird was still there as of yesterday.

The Itasca State Park CBC on December 17 reported 32 species including
RUFFED GROUSE, WILD TURKEY, RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER, no less than 14
PILEATED WOODPECKERS, two NORTHERN SHRIKES, 5 CANADA JAYS, 90
RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES, 5 BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS, PINE GROSBEAKS, and
EVENING GROSBEAKS.

In Beltrami County, Alex Burchard saw RING-NECKED DUCK and PIED-BILLED
GREBES in Bemidji on December 15.

Larry Wilebski observed a MOURNING DOVE at Lancaster , Kittson County on
December 15.

Beth Siverhus reported RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES, BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS,
COMMON GRACKLE, RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, and PINE GROSBEAKS all in Warroad
this week. In the surrounding countryside there were BALD EAGLE and
ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's numbers 218-847-5743 or 218- 847-9202. Please include the
county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this
report is Thursday, December 27, 2018.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN