Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: January 17, 2019
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 218-847-5743 or 218-847-9202
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, January 17,
2019 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also see this report on the Chamber of Commerce website:
https://www.visitdetroitlakes.com/birding-report

After a week or so of very pleasant winter weather, we are headed into
the freezer for a few days starting tonight. Today has been clear, sunny
and very cold. We have a nice blanket of snow which does tend to blow
around a bit when the wind comes up. Roads are in good winter condition,
but gravel roads are covered with compacted snow and some icy patches.
Birds have been hunkering down in the last few days, and , today
especially, the feeders have been busy. Common redpolls this year seem
to be finding enough food in the countryside, as few are being seen at
feeders.

From Roseau County, Beth Siverhus reported BARRED OWL, PINE GROSBEAK,
COMMON REDPOLL , and PILEATED WOODPECKER in the Beltrami Island State
Forest. In Warroad, she saw BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS, and PINE SISKINS. The
three RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS and the COMMON GRACKLE are still hanging
around her yard.

Becca Engdahl reported RING-NECKED DUCK, HOODED MERGANSER, and
PIED-BILLED GREBE in Bemidji at the Lake Irving water access on January
15th.

Here in Pennington County, today I heard a COMMON RAVEN flying by, and
two COMMON REDPOLLS are coming to our feeder.

Sandy Aubol in western Polk County reported that the FOX SPARROW and the
CHIPPING SPARROW is still coming to her yard, and they have been joined
by at least one COMMON REDPOLL.

A RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD was reported by Shawn Goodchild on January 15 in
Norman County.

A visit by Patrick Beauzay to the Moorhead wastewater treatment ponds in
Clay County was rewarded by sightings of WOOD DUCK, RING-NECKED DUCK,
LESSER SCAUP, BUFFLEHEAD , and HOODED MERGANSER. A RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD
was also seen.

A WHITE-THROATED SPARROW was observed by Becca Engdahl at Kabekona Lake
in Hubbard County on January 11th.

A BARROW'S GOLDENEYE was reported by Matthew Jensen on January 13 in
Fergus Falls. Kevyn Heck reported a VARIED THRUSH north of Fergus Falls
on January 15. Among the other species seen in Otter Tail County this
week by various individuals were PINE SISKINS, NORTHERN CARDINAL, PURPLE
FINCH, and HOODED MERGANSER.

A HOODED MERGANSER was sighted at Lake Carlos State Park on January 16th
by Ben Eckhoff.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's numbers 218-847-5743 or 218- 847-9202. Please include the
county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this
report is Thursday, January 24, 2019.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN