Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: August 30, 2019
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 218-847-5743 or 218-847-9202
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

Here in the northwest it has been a relatively quiet period bird-wise, but it is obvious that some species are on the move. Swallows are gone for the most part, and we are seeing more and more turkey vultures in the last few days. Young orioles are stocking up at feeders, and house finches and purple finches are also busy at the feeders. Fall wildflowers are in full bloom, and are especially beautiful this year.

A BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER was found by Kieran Schwartz at Lake Bronson State Park on August 19th. I believe that this species has been seen there in year's past also, but I have not had luck in trying to find one there.

At our place near Thief River Falls in Pennington County, August 19 was a very birdy day, as the yard was full of the young of all the resident species which were hawking insects of what appeared to be a fresh hatch. Included was a BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER, and perhaps other species from a short distance north. AMERICAN REDSTARTS that nested in our area were particularly obvious. Six TURKEY VULTURES were seen on August 22nd, kettling over Thief River Falls. EASTERN BLUEBIRD was heard in the yard on August 23rd. On August 30, I spotted a RED-HEADED WOODPECKER flying over 350th Ave in the far eastern part of the county, and a GRAY PARTRIDGE walking across that road.

Russ Wilbur saw two adult and two young RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS along the bike path by the Red River in the East Grand Forks campground in Polk County on August 29th.

From Becker County, Chris Walker reported a lot of AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS at Tamarac NWR on August 20th.

Becca Engdahl found a RED CROSSBILL in the Long Prairie area of Todd County on August 21st.

A BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER was seen by Wayne Perala at Oak Grove Cemetery in Fergus Falls, Otter Tail County, on August 30th.

Two KRIDER'S RED-TAILED HAWKS were reported this week- one by Douglas Mayo at Rothsay WMA in Wilkin County on August 14th, and one by Charlene Nelson in Grant County on August 16th.

A PROTHONOTARY WARBLER was spotted along lake side of US 2 at Cass Lake in Cass County on August 20th.

A YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER was seen by Douglas Mayo at Lightning Lake Park in Grant County on August 14th. Brian Hawking reported a PRAIRIE FALCON at North Ottawa Impoundment on August 17th.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes Chamber's numbers 218-847-5743 or 218- 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this report is Friday, September 6, 2019.

Jeanie Joppru Pennington County, MN