Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: September 5, 2019
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 218-847-5743 or 218-847-9202
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

Migration is clearly in progress all over the state, as we are seeing gatherings of birds in preparation for their long journeys south. Early in the past week we saw a large number of northern flickers in our yard in Pennington County and this continues today. A few new species are being seen out of their nesting area, hawks can be seen in late afternoon perched on many power poles when the wind dies down for the day. Many juvenile birds are seen along the roads and at feeders. A Minnesota Birding Weekend in Lake of the Woods and Roseau Counties was held last weekend where they tallied 155 species including twenty species of warblers, although no big numbers in any one place. Shorebirds and sparrows were not seen in expected numbers, and Warroad WTP was the best shorebird spot.

Migration has reached Grant County, and an ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER was reported from that county, and Charlene Nelson reported a WILSON'S WARBLER also.

In Clay County, Brian Vik saw a juvenile WHITE-FACED IBIS three miles east of Barnesville on August 27th.

At Erskine in Polk County on September 2nd I saw a family of TRUMPETER SWANS with five cygnets at the Erskine WTP. Also there was a lone WILSON'S PHALAROPE and many gulls which I was not equipped to identify.

Here at home in Pennington County east of Thief River Falls, a probable SWAINSON'S THRUSH appeared at our bird bath on August 31st. Lots of YELLOW WARBLERS were seen in the yard as they nested nearby.

In Roseau County, the Minnesota Birding Weekend found a number of interesting species at the Warroad WTP on August 30th. Among them were ROSS'S GOOSE, CACKLING GOOSE, LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER, RED-NECKED PHALAROPE, and BOBOLINK. A GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH was found in Roseau, RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER at the Roseau city park. 15 GRAY PARTRIDGES were found along CR 9 2.7 miles south of MN 11. A single SHARP-TAILED GROUSE was seen on CR 10 on September 1. SHORT-EARED OWL was found hunting the hayfields northeast of Roseau along 350th St 1.2 miles east of 410 AVE. Fifty BLACK-BILLED MAGPIES were seen along CR 119.

A WESTERN KINGBIRD was observed along Lake of the Woods CR 17 , and RED CROSSBILLS were seen in Beltrami Island Forest near Norris Camp.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes Chamber's numbers 218-847-5743 or 218- 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this report is Friday, September 13, 2019.

Jeanie Joppru Pennington County, MN