Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: October 10, 2019
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 218-847-5743 or 218-847-9202
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

With all the rain we have been having here in the north, bird reports have been hard to come by. Migration is definitely progressing, and yesterday, the first really big flock of American robins visited our yard. White-throated sparrows, dark-eyed juncos , and purple finches are also one the move. Turkey vultures have been migrating through the area for a couple of weeks now. Fall color here in the northwest was slow to arrive, but today all the aspens turned golden yellow, and cranberry bushes are a lovely red.

A SABINE'S GULL was reported by Alex Burchard at Diamond Point Park in Bemidji, Beltrami County on October 5th. Becca Engdahl saw a HOUSE WREN in Bemidji on September 27th.

Here at our feeders east if Thief River Falls, Pennington County, I had HARRIS'S SPARROW on October 2nd, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, WHITE-THROATED SPARROW, and PURPLE FINCH on October 4th, RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET on October 5th. Many DARK-EYED JUNCOS, and 75-100 AMERICAN ROBINS were here on October 9th. Zeann Linder reported a EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE under her feeders in Thief River Falls on October 6th.

On October 7th, Dennis Weisenborn reported a GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH in Moorhead, Clay County.

Wayne Perala found a TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE at Tamarac NWR in Becker County on October 8th.

In Hubbard County, several observers reported PINE WARBLER, BAY-BREASTED WARBLER, and SCARLET TANAGER at Kabekona Lake on October 3rd.

A LITTLE GULL was found by Bruce Munson at Walker WTP on October 2nd.

Charlene Nelson saw a BROWN CREEPER at their Elbow Lake farm in Grant County on October 1st. A MARBLED GODWIT was seen at the N. Ottawa Impoundment by William Marengo on October 6th.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes Chamber's numbers 218-847-5743 or 218- 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this report is October 17, 2019.

Jeanie Joppru Pennington County, MN