Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: March 19, 2020
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 218-847-5743 or 218-847-9202
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, March 19,
2020 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also see this report on the Chamber of Commerce website:
https://www.visitdetroitlakes.com/birding-report

Spring is on the way in the northwest , according to the birds. Horned
larks are everywhere in the open country; some folks are seeing American
robins which may be some that overwintered, but which are now singing.

In Otter Tail County, Brittany Kakac reported a CHIPPING SPARROW on
March 16th.

A NORTHERN HAWK OWL was spotted by Becca Engdahl on March 13 in Hubbard
County along MN 64 north of CR 109.

In Clay County, I saw a large group of WILD TURKEYS in a yard in north
Moorhead on March 17th. Patrick Beauzay reported RUSTY BLACKBIRD and
BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD in the county on March 15th.

A MOURNING DOVE was seen by Gina Kemper in Mahnomen County on March
17th.

Diane Wales reported a flock of AMERICAN ROBINS in the north end of East
Grand Forks on March 18th.

In Pennington County, I saw 25 WILD TURKEYS along CR 3 on March 17th,
and on March 18th, AMERICAN ROBINS could be heard in our neighborhood
east of Thief River Falls. Many EUROPEAN STARLINGS are showing up in
flocks this week in the area- maybe migrants.

Beth Siverhus saw WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS in Beltrami County near the
Bog walk last weekend.

From Roseau County, Dawn Stromquist reported NORTHERN GOSHAWK on March
13th. Beth Siverhus observed a NORTHERN HAWK OWL between Roseau and
Warroad last week. SHARP-TAILED GROUSE were also seen.

In Lake of the Woods County, Gretchen Mehmel reported RED CROSSBILLS at
Norris Camp on March 12th; also seen there were PINE SISKINS, GRAY JAYS,
and BLUE JAYS. A NORTHERN GOSHAWK was seen east of the Norris Fire Tower
on March 16th.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's numbers 218-847-5743 or 218- 847-9202. Please include the
county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this
report is Thursday, March 26, 2020

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN