Hi All

What Ron says is correct. The J-type crystals are indeed just “normal” crystals on a standard Rowland circle. I had been puzzled by the suffix “J” for a long time as had several of my colleagues. Norihisa Mori from JEOL attended our JEOL UK user meeting at the Natural History Museum a couple of years ago and we asked him what J stood for. The answer he gave was “Japan” !

All the best

Richard

From: JEOL-Focused Probe Users List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ron Rasch
Sent: 23 September 2020 09:33
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PROBEUSERS] TAPJ, TAPH, TAPL or TAP?

Hi,

I believe, TAPJ are the normal sized crystals on the normal 140mm RC spectrometer, that are made for JEOL, so TAP-JEOL or TAPJ or just TAP.

Happy to be corrected.

Best Regards,

Ron

On 23 Sep 2020, at 6:10 PM, Michallik Radoslaw (GTK) <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi,

I’ve been working on an old JEOL JXA 8600 with the normal “small size” x-tals i.e. TAP. I know that large crystals are i.e. TAPL (normal spectrometer 140mm) and high intensity crystals are TAPH for the H-Type spectrometer with a smaller Rowland circle (100mm).

But what are i.e. TAPJ x-tals? What does the “J” stands for? I’ve noticed that they are usually mounted with a gas-flow proportional counter.

I just started recently at my new work place and we’ll have a configuration with TAPJ and PETJ crystals on our new FE-EPMA from JEOL.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Radoslaw Michallik

Researcher

Circular Economy Solutions

Geological Survey of Finland GTK

Vuorimiehentie 2K, FI-02151 Espoo, Finland

Tel. +358 29 503 0345, +358 50 340 9701

The Geological Survey of Finland provides solutions for more sustainable growth.

For Earth and for Us.

<image001.png>

**** JEOL Probe Users Listserver

Moderator: Anette von der Handt, [log in to unmask], Electron Microprobe Lab, University of Minnesota

Post a message: send your message to [log in to unmask]

Unsubscribe: send "SIGNOFF PROBEUSERS" to [log in to unmask]

On-line help and FAQ: http://probelab.geo.umn.edu/jeoluserlist.html

*