Hi all,

there is a possibility that we can add two spectrometers to our microprobe, and we are trying to decide which could be the best combination. We perform mostly analyses on geological samples.
I would be grateful if you could tell me the difference between the L and H crystals  (e.g. LiFH vs LiFL). The JEOL brochure reads that the L type is for "trace element overlaps in geology" and the H type is for "high X-ray intensity". As expected, we noticed some loss of resolution when going from the "normal" (e.g. PETJ, LIF) to H crystals (PETH, LIFH) in the spectrometers we already have. Do L-type crystals offer a better resolution than the regular crystals? How about detection limits?
I will appreciate your comments and experiences.
Thank you very much in advance,

Fernando Colombo
National University of Cordoba
Argentina
**** JEOL Probe Users Listserver

Moderator: Anette von der Handt, [log in to unmask], Electron Microprobe Lab, University of Minnesota