Well-Being Wednesday

Not a Wordle Just a Newsletter

Physical

Couch to 5k/Running Group Me! WBI is encouraging students to challenge themselves and participate in a couch to 5k culminating at Goldy’s Run. We have found an 8-week program attached to this newsletter. We have created a GroupMe for people who want to look for others to run/train with.  Join here: https://groupme.com/join_group/84990836/p8RpwCYX

Goldy’s run will be 8 am on April 3rd at Huntington Bank Stadium.Register herer: https://www.goldysrun.com/ .  If you don’t feel like joining Goldy’s Run, you can still join the GroupMe and challenge yourself!

Basketball. WBI is continuing its weekly basketball pickup games. This semester it is Wednesdays at 7 pm at the RecWell.

Group Ice Skate! We are looking at going to a an ice rink the weekend of Feb. 11th/12th. More details are to come for time and place.

If you want to know more information about anything contact Alex Jones: (330) 442-1832

Personal

The NAMI Connection Support Group will take place tonight, February 2, from 5-6:30 p.m. in Mondale Hall Room 475. See the ‘Resources’ section below for more details.

Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers February educational courses include ‘The Neuroscience of Addiction’ and ‘When Your Client is Impaired: Addiction and Ethical Issues for Attorneys.’ If you are interested in attending, click here and scroll down to ‘February CLEs.’

Do you ever feel anxious in class or while studying? Anxiety can consume our every thought and make it impossible to focus. If you want to immediately take control of your anxiety, read about these techniques from Psych Central. These suggested techniques can be helpful in curbing anxiety in the moment.

Academic

Masks. We hope everyone is feeling safe at the law school every day. While University protocol continues to mandate in-person instruction, cramped spaces with little air flow can make it a challenging experience.

However, high-quality masks are available to mitigate some of that fear. Surgical masks are available in most Mondale Hall classrooms, and N95 or KN95 masks available for free at the Gopher Express on the West Bank Skyway, typically between 8:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. You don’t even need to go outside. Just head through Willey Hall to get to the Skyway.

Recordings. For those who can’t make it, there is no school-wide policy on recording lectures. The authority remains with professors. Some, although they don’t record themselves, allow students to do so. Let’s help out our fellow students so that looking out for their and our health can be an easy decision. WBI is working on an outreach plan to ensure that students have the remote materials they need to succeed.

Advice Column

I ended up in urgent care twice last semester. First the day before my Con Law final and the second the day before my Contracts final. I was suffering and in a lot of pain. The doctor shrugged it off as “just some virus crud” that wasn’t COVID or the flu and sent me on my way feeling defeated. Like it was my fault somehow. As if the stress I was putting myself under was creating a virus that made my brain feel like mush. I completed finals and about a week later I got Omicron. About a month passed by and I continued feeling broken and heavy. I already live with chronic pain, but this was different. I made an appointment with a doctor because I suspected a thyroid issue. Turns out the “virus crud” was Mono. Yet, looking back I did not set myself up to heal. Rather, I pushed through as if not being productive was a moral failing.

Now I am taking my health more seriously and putting myself first by treating my physical and mental health as if it were a part-time job with responsibilities including sleep, movement, being mindful of the food I put in my body, and taking time to remember to enjoy the little things in life.

Lessons learned/remembered:

Sierra Grandy is a 1L with a passion for mental health and psychology. She likes to research productivity and positive psychology tricks in the very little free time she has. She is honored to bring that research to you.

Any questions, concerns, or topics that you’d like some advice on, feel free to submit them here! You’ll get real advice, and maybe some memes for your situation.

Resources

NAMI Connections Group for University of Minnesota Law Students

The NAMI Connection group offers peer-led support for law students living with mental health disorders who attend the University of Minnesota Law School.

NAMI Connection is a recovery support group for adults with a mental illness regardless of their diagnosis. This group is offered free of charge and is led by trained individuals who are also in recovery – people who understand the challenges folks with mental illness face.

This is a hybrid model. You can join in-person or via Zoom.

There is a 20 person limit. We still have plenty of room!

No need to register – simply show up!

Email [log in to unmask] with questions.

Who: UMN law students living with mental illness

What: Peer-led support group!

When: 1st & 3rd Wednesdays of each month; 5-6:30pm

Where: Mondale Hall Room 475

This group is completely confidential. It is not therapy.

Click here to see other NAMI Connection Groups offered in Minnesota.

UMN Law Character and Fitness AA Group

Let’s Talk

Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers

Boynton Mental Health

Looking for a Therapist?

Learn about the various types of mental health professionals and types of treatments available.

Psychology Today Find a Therapist Search Tool

Fast Tracker

Crisis Resources

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

Sand Creek 24/7 Phone Counseling

Community Spaces - NEW!

Community Spaces is a new initiative at the law school! It is for anyone who is interested in getting together with other Minnesota Law students and building community.

Third Thursday of the Month from 12:15-1:15pm in Room 3

AND

Third Friday of the Month from 12:15-1:15pm Virtually (https://z.umn.edu/communityspaces

Dates: Feb 17th & 18th; March 17th & 18th; April 21st & 22nd

WBI has created a Resources Page on our website where law students can always go to find support.

UMN Law Well-Being Initiative

READ MORE ON OUR WEBSITE

Current Contacts
Annika Cushnyr - [log in to unmask]
Emily Moss - [log in to unmask]
Sarani Millican -  [log in to unmask]

Alex Jones - [log in to unmask]

Ali Casey - [log in to unmask]

Luke Srodulski -  [log in to unmask]

 Couch to 5k

To unsubscribe from the WBI-NEWSLETTER list, click the following link:
https://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=WBI-NEWSLETTER&A=1