WBI Weekly Digest

BOARD ELECTIONS

Personal

NAMI Connections Support Group for law students resumes TONIGHT, from
5-6:30pm in Mondale Hall, Room 475. Please see the ‘Resources’ section
below for more details!

Let’s Talk <https://counseling.umn.edu/LetsTalk> has changed its location
and time. The new details are below!

   -

   What: Let’s Talk Counselor in Mondale Hall
   -

   Who: Ms. Kifaya Bishop, Multicultural Counselor from Student Counseling
   Services
   -

   When: Every Thursday from 1-3pm
   -

   Where: N20 in the Wellness Room
   -

   No appointment necessary. Drop in.

Law Student Mental Health Advocacy Coalition Interest Survey

Law students from Fordham, University of Miami, and University of New
Mexico are interested in forming a National Law Student Mental Health
Advocacy Coalition. They created a survey to gauge national interest for
this Coalition and to collect general data on the types of mental health
and wellness services and programming law schools offer.

Take the survey here! <https://forms.gle/7rVPE66irLCpeCB89>

This survey will NOT collect any personally identifying information, except
that which you may choose to provide. Should you have any questions or
concerns about this survey, please contact Sam Sloane (she/her), the
current ABA Law Student Liaison to the Commission on Lawyer Assistance
Programs (CoLAP), by phone at 720-201-1899 or by email at
VOTE!

WBI is having its board elections for 2022-2023. Please read the personal
statements below and click this link to vote for four candidates that will
enhance Well-Being at the school. Voting will close on 03/20/2022 at 11:59
PM. WBI ELECTION LINK.
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScYoHqFJSCGsboM4V9Iicwzh7D3asq_kiT2Oj6OU6zLUW_VZg/viewform?usp=sf_link>

Sean Rattigan

I have direct experience managing employees and overseeing teams in high
stress environments; consulting and fast-paced service. I have extensive
experience collecting data around areas of concern/improvement and
fostering a culture where individuals feel supported.

I think it would be beneficial to release targeted surveys, bubble and
qualitative feedback, where students can directly provide feedback about
areas where they may not feel supported.

Chase Webber

The WBI Braintrust would give me the opportunity to further serve my peers
at UMN law. I offer extensive and ongoing experience in the field of mental
health and addiction recovery. During the last four years, I led student
wellness and support programs, including a student-led recovery group which
I initiated at UMN Law this year. I also help students in involvement with
MN LCL. I envision more peer-support options for all UMN Law students that
could replace stigma with empathy by facilitating personal connections, for
mutual growth, while offering more resource accessibility and awareness.

Mark Maier

My physical health and well-being are very important to me, and I think
they should be a school-wide priority. If I am able to join, some of my
biggest priorities would be to try to plan at least one health or
fitness-related event per week, and also make a point of more frequently
including healthy snacks at school events, tables, and more. Because I am
very organized and detail-oriented--and these issues are very personal to
me--I believe I can be a great contributor to WBI. In my role, I would also
be a faithful representative of the student body.

Alex Jones

Throughout my 1L career at Mondale I have been heavily involved in WBI. I
am serving as the liaison for WBI to Law Council and am the head of the
physical subcommittee. I would like to continue to advocate for student
health and grow WBI to the organization it was pre-pandemic. I want to
continue our work of advocating students needs/wishes to administration and
gain every inch of change that WBI is able to make during my time.

I am Alex Jones, and I approve this message.

Kayla Haeg

I would like to join the WBI Braintrust to provide additional support for
rural students. Last year, I moved out of Alaska for the first time and had
trouble adjusting to city life in the Lower 48. I am interested in creating
a support group for students from rural backgrounds and organizing
“backcountry” hiking trips. I also plan on supporting the WBI peer
mentorship program, since my mentor practically saved me from dropping out
of school that first semester. I want to guide 1Ls through the extreme
anxiety of law school and the WBI Braintrust sounds like a perfect fit

Ali Casey

I would like to continue my time on the WBI Braintrust to keep advocating
for those with mental illness and normalize conversations about mental
health and wellbeing. I want to push for more education surrounding mental
health and substance use in the legal profession. I believe being proactive
and equipping students with mental health resources and knowledge now is
the key to them being able to quickly and smoothly access resources in the
future when they may be struggling.

Luke Srodulski

My first year as part of the BrainTrust has been extremely rewarding, from
gauging and reporting on students' well-being to advocating for class
recording mandates for faculty. I see another year with WBI as an
opportunity to build upon this progress and make sure that student concerns
are heard and heeded.

Ray Mestad

I would love to be a part of the WBI Braintrust to contribute to the
well-being of law students and help destigmatize struggles with mental
health during law school. Law school is challenging enough, and those
challenges can be compounded when adapting to school also requires dealing
with diagnoses or personal struggles. It would be a privilege to be able to
use my own experiences in way that can be helpful to other students facing
difficulties. I am a great communicator, passionate about mental health,
and would be grateful for the chance to participate with WBI in this role.
Academic

The University of Minnesota is implementing a relaxed mask policy on
Monday, March 21. You can see the details here
<https://safe-campus.umn.edu/return-campus/covid-19-prevention-and-wellbeing>.
In short, in-person classes will still require masks, but other gatherings
in classrooms or other rooms will not. Additionally, masks will be optional
in common areas like the library or in an office workspace.

This is a big change from the more strict mask policy that had been in
place since a return to in-person instruction, so we want to know how
students feel about it. Please let us know any thoughts you have on the
policy here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDGV0GD23rc5q7VbwiWzIBjM-hFMmrj08sAM-NdL5yESnrsQ/viewform>,
and we can make sure your anonymous concerns are heard.
Advice Column

Some tips for taking a mental health day:

The other day I found myself dealing with some major anxiety attacks and I
needed to stay home. I wanted to push myself to act like nothing was wrong,
but as I tried, I found that it compounded the issues, so I took a mental
health day.

Non-judgmental acceptance:

Meet yourself where you are. Maybe you cannot do anything but lay in bed
and watch TikToks, but maybe you have it in you to watch your class
recordings or go to your hybrid classes, brush your teeth, and eat a meal.
Pushing yourself to go further than you actually can go may lead to more
distress. Be gentle with yourself.

Create or complete something:

I find that creating or completing something is satisfying if I have the
capacity to do it. I appreciate the feeling of accomplishment, especially
when I am having a bad brain day. For me, this can be cooking a meal,
reading for tomorrow, or finishing starting a craft.

Get comfy:

If I feel terrible, I find a bit of relief by throwing on a nice or comfy
outfit. This reminds me that I am not my messy mood. This can range from
fluffy pjs to a nice turtleneck and gold earrings. Putting intention into
what I am wearing and what my environment is like is helpful when focusing
on staying in the moment and getting through difficult feelings or pain.

Go slow,

Sierra Grandy ([log in to unmask])

Any questions, concerns, or topics that you’d like some advice on, feel
free to submit them here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1anKIk6flI3DTzW_m6yEKOXMoQmoZc57SVj7g4Ux6qqY/edit?usp=sharing>!
You’ll get real advice, and maybe some memes for your situation.
Resources

NAMI Connections Group for University of Minnesota Law Students

The NAMI Connection group offers peer-led support for law students living
with mental health disorders who attend the University of Minnesota Law
School.

NAMI Connection is a recovery support group for adults with a mental
illness regardless of their diagnosis. This group is offered free of charge
and is led by trained individuals who are also in recovery – people who
understand the challenges folks with mental illness face.

This is a hybrid model. You can join in-person or via Zoom.

There is a 20 person limit. We still have plenty of room!

No need to register – simply show up!

Who: UMN law students living with mental illness

What: Peer-led support group!

When: 1st & 3rd Wednesdays of each month; 5-6:30pm

Where: Mondale Hall Room 475

This group is completely confidential. It is not therapy.

Click here to see other NAMI Connection Groups offered in Minnesota.
<https://namimn.org/support/nami-minnesota-support-groups/>

"Character and Fitness" Wellness Group

   -

   Held every Wednesday at 12:30 at Mondale Hall.
   -

   A student-run, safe, strictly confidential, judgment-free, 12-step based
   group welcomes anyone struggling with substance use or in recovery.
   -

   Hybrid meeting. Contact [log in to unmask] for room location and
   Zoom info, or other inquiries.
   -

   In-person attendees must wear a mask while inside the building; see UMN's
   Face Covering Protocol
   <https://safe-campus.umn.edu/return-campus/face-coverings>.

Let’s Talk  <https://counseling.umn.edu/LetsTalk>

   -

   What: Let’s Talk Counselor in Mondale Hall
   -

   Who: Ms. Kifaya Bishop, Multicultural Counselor from Student Counseling
   Services
   -

   When: Every Thursday from 1-3pm
   -

   Where: N20 in the Wellness Room
   -

   No appointment necessary. Drop in.

Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers <https://www.mnlcl.org>

   -

   LCL offers resources on substance use and compulsive behaviors, mental
   illness, stress, and well-being
   -

   Support Groups <https://www.mnlcl.org/support-groups/#adhd_support>
   -

      ADD/ADHD Support Group: 2nd and 4th Fridays at noon via Zoom
      (Pre-Registration is required for this group)
      -

      Well-Being Group: Thursdays 12:00-1:00 via Zoom
      -

   Need assistance now? Call 651-646-5590 or 800-525-6466
   -

   For 24-hour phone counseling, call Sand Creek
   <https://www.mnlcl.org/services/counseling/> at 651-430-3383 or
   888-243-5744
   -

      If asked, say you were referred by LCL

Boynton Mental Health
<https://boynton.umn.edu/clinics/boynton-mental-health>

   -

   To schedule your first appointment, call 612-624-1444
   -

   Offering in-person and telehealth
   -

   Individual and couples therapy available (10-session-per-year limit for
   each type)
   -

   Eating disorder services, ADD/ADHD treatment, alcohol and chemical
   health services, and group therapy available

Looking for a Therapist?

Learn about the various types of mental health professionals and types of
treatments available.

   -

   Types of Mental Health Professionals
   <https://www.mhanational.org/types-mental-health-professionals>
   -

   Types of Mental Health Treatments
   <https://www.mhanational.org/mental-health-treatments>

Psychology Today Find a Therapist Search Tool
<https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists/mn/minneapolis>

   -

   Psychology Today is a great resource to find a therapist
   -

   Filter by specific location, accepted insurance, specialty, issues, age,
   gender, sexuality, language spoken, ethnicity, faith, and more

Fast Tracker  <https://fasttrackermn.org/>

   -

   Search tool for mental health and substance use disorder resources in
   Minnesota

Crisis Resources <https://counseling.umn.edu/crisis-services>

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

   -

   1-800-273-8255
   -

   Text ‘MN’ 741741
   -

   Chat Online <https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/chat/>
   -

   Call any time, for any reason

Sand Creek 24/7 Phone Counseling

   -

   651-430-3383 or 888-243-5744
   -

   If asked, say LCL referred you

Community Spaces - NEW!

Community Spaces is a new initiative at the law school! It is for anyone
who is interested in getting together with other Minnesota Law students and
building community.

Third Thursday of the Month from 12:15-1:15pm in Room 3

AND

Third Friday of the Month from 12:15-1:15pm Virtually (
https://z.umn.edu/communityspaces)

Dates: March 17th & 18th; April 21st & 22nd

WBI has created a Resources Page on our website
<https://sites.google.com/umn.edu/wbi/resources> where law students can
always go to find support.

UMN Law Well-Being Initiative

READ MORE ON OUR WEBSITE  <https://sites.google.com/umn.edu/wbi/home>