WBI Weekly Digest

Put Yourself First!

Well-Being Wednesday

Physical

Bowling! This Friday @ 6pm, we invite everyone to come to Goldy’s Gameroom in Coffman Memorial Union on the East Bank. You would be able to rent shoes and bowl 2 games for under $10

Clean Up Mondale! Due to weather conditions, we had to  cancel yesterday's clean up and are attempting to walk around Mondale and the river Monday at 3 pm! Please reach out if interested. Weather permitting.

Walk around the park! April 17th at 11 am we will be having a group walk around Lake of the Isles. Please reach out for details or rides! Weather permitting.

Personal

NAMI Connections Support Group for law students resumes TONIGHT, from 5-6:30pm in Mondale Hall, Room 475. Please see the ‘Resources’ section below for more details!

YOU should be your FIRST priority!

As we near finals season, remember to prioritize yourself. Life can get overwhelming with the endless studying, lengthy papers, and daunting deadlines. However, YOU and YOUR WELLBEING matter more than any grade or external marker of “success.”

Practice putting your needs first so it becomes a habit, before finals ramp up! One great way to do this is by taking small steps to prioritize yourself every day. Some of our favorite ways to do this include:

Academic

A 2017 study highlighted the impact that mindfulness meditation can have in reducing exam stress. As we enter the home stretch of this semester, try to take five or 10 minutes a day to meditate using an app like Headspace or Waking Up, both of which have free options.

Song of the Week

Link

Advice Column

The NAMI connections group is tonight!

As you likely know, there in peer-led mental health support group here in Mondale Hall! It is on the 1st & 3rd Wednesdays of the month.

Our next and final group for this semester is April 20th.

We will be back next semester! Likely with a new date and an easier way to participate remotely within a hybrid model.

This is a space to talk about your mental health in a confidential shame free environment, regardless of whether you have a diagnosis. If you have been struggling and want some extra support you are welcome.

I hope to see you in room 475 from 5-6:30pm tonight and/or on the 20th!

Please email me, Sierra Grandy, at [log in to unmask] with questions/concerns or if you would like to join the Zoom room!

Any questions, concerns, or topics that you’d like some advice on, feel free to submit them here! You’ll get real advice, and maybe some memes for your situation.

Resources

NAMI Connections Group for University of Minnesota Law Students

The NAMI Connection group offers peer-led support for law students living with mental health disorders who attend the University of Minnesota Law School.

NAMI Connection is a recovery support group for adults with a mental illness regardless of their diagnosis. This group is offered free of charge and is led by trained individuals who are also in recovery – people who understand the challenges folks with mental illness face.

This is a hybrid model. You can join in-person or via Zoom.

There is a 20 person limit. We still have plenty of room!

No need to register – simply show up!

Who: UMN law students living with mental illness

What: Peer-led support group!

When: 1st & 3rd Wednesdays of each month; 5-6:30pm

Where: Mondale Hall Room 475

This group is completely confidential. It is not therapy.

Click here to see other NAMI Connection Groups offered in Minnesota.

"Character and Fitness" Wellness Group

Let’s Talk

Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers

Boynton Mental Health

Looking for a Therapist?

Learn about the various types of mental health professionals and types of treatments available.

Psychology Today Find a Therapist Search Tool

Fast Tracker

Crisis Resources

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

Sand Creek 24/7 Phone Counseling

Community Spaces - NEW!

Community Spaces is a new initiative at the law school! It is for anyone who is interested in getting together with other Minnesota Law students and building community.

Third Thursday of the Month from 12:15-1:15pm in Room 3

AND

Third Friday of the Month from 12:15-1:15pm Virtually (https://z.umn.edu/communityspaces

Dates: April 21st & 22nd

NAMI Ramsey County Book Club – First Thursday of the Month

“Join us on the first Thursday of each month to discuss books with a mental illness theme. Learn through compassionate conversation. See which book we’re reading at namiramseycounty.org/bookclub.”

NAMI Educational Courses

NAMI offers numerous educational courses for a wide variety of audiences, all relating to mental health. Check out their current schedule to find a course that looks interesting to you! (Practically all the courses are free!)

WBI has created a Resources Page on our website where law students can always go to find support.

UMN Law Well-Being Initiative

READ MORE ON OUR WEBSITE

Current Contacts
Annika Cushnyr - [log in to unmask]
Emily Moss - [log in to unmask]
Sarani Millican -  [log in to unmask]

Alex Jones - [log in to unmask]

Ali Casey - [log in to unmask]

Luke Srodulski -  [log in to unmask]

To unsubscribe from the WBI-NEWSLETTER list, click the following link:
https://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=WBI-NEWSLETTER&A=1