Dear ISH Members,
   Here are the early May announcements.

Conferences

“Philosophy in the Wild”

Dear Philosophers,

            Registration is now open for daytime attendance at Philosophy in the Wild's second annual environmental philosophy conference on June 18th and 19th, 2022, at Ridley Creek State Park in Media, Pennsylvania (USA). Please note that space is limited and registration will close once we reach capacity.

            Please register here!

Our keynote speaker, Romy Opperman (The New School), will present "'Bury Me in a Free Land': Grounding Abolition Ecology." The program for the remainder of our event is provided at the end of this message and on our website.

Our conference will be fully outdoors and technology-free (phones and screens off); we look forward to hosting you in the "wild"!

This conference brings together scholars working in and around environmental philosophy. Our conference will focus on the following themes:

In addition to our keynote speaker, we will hear talks from the following scholars.

For more information about Philosophy in the Wild, please see our website or contact us at [log in to unmask].

Workshops

"A triple helix: metaphor, society, and the science of evolution. A hybrid workshop in memory of Richard Lewontin"

The Call for Applications for the ISHPSSB Off-Year Workshop "A triple helix: metaphor, society, and the science of evolution. A hybrid workshop in memory of Richard Lewontin" is now open, and submissions will be accepted until May 25. The workshop will take place on October 3-7, 2022 both in person and virtually with discussions on the following three main topics:

With the help of ISHPSSB Travel Support, we will able to partially fund travel costs for graduate students who participate in the workshop and are currently members of the Society. For more information, please visit the workshop's website: https://lewontin.fciencias.unam.mx/?page_id=38

Tenure Track Positions

“Assistant Researcher at the Instituto de Investigaciones Filosóficas”

Dear ISHPSSB,  We are announcing this tenure track position at the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México:
            http://www.filosoficas.unam.mx/sitio/contratacion-investigadora-tecnologia-ia

The position will be of Assistant Researcher at the Instituto de Investigaciones Filosóficas, with no need to speak Spanish for the first year.

All the best,

Edna

Dra. Edna Suárez-Díaz
Full Professor.

Estudios de la Ciencia y la Tecnología (S&TS)

http://academicos.fciencias.unam.mx/ednasuarez/

Projects: https://connecting3worlds.org/

Science Writer Position

“National Human Genome Research Institute and NIH”

As the NHGRI (National Human Genome Research Institute) and the NIH (National Institutes of Health) are taking an active role in confronting historical and present scientific racism, eugenics ideas and practices, ableism and other dehumanizing ideologies in the biomedical sciences and beyond, we are actively considering recent PhDs in history and/or philosophy of biology, genetics and/or medicine for this position. This is an exciting opportunity to write about contemporary genetics and genomics at one of the key US players in the field, the NHGRI, and to learn new skills in many ways complementary to those of a historian and/or philosopher.  The position carries with it extensive opportunities to engage in not only meaningful historical and archival work, but to write about the revolutionary science of genomics in historically sensitive and inclusive ways, so that the benefits of genomics are available to all. Would also be able to potentially work on oral history and other interview projects in genetics and genomics, technology development, bioethics and ELSI subjects.  Strong interview skills and ability to work closely with scientists, editorial staff, and subject matter experts towards writing clear, accessible prose is a must.  Open to U.S. and non-US citizens, but must work in the U.S.

Applications are requested on or before May 5, 2022. More details in the link below:

https://www.genome.gov/careers-training/NHGRI-Jobs/Science-Writer

Thank you,

Christopher Donohue, Ph.D.

NHGRI Historian

Co-lead, History of Genomics Program

Oral Histories

History of Molecular Biology and Genomics Lecture Series

End of Announcements

Lloyd Ackert, Ph.D.
Department of History

Drexel University