Subject:  ISHPSSB meeting
     Date:  Wed, 18 Nov 1998 13:32:51 +0100
   From:  [log in to unmask] (Jutta Schickore)

We posted the following announcement on the ISHPSSB web site today.
Many Thanks

Jutta Schickore & Judy Johns Schloegel

------------------
Call for papers for a session proposed for ISHPSSB Meeting, July 1999

Organizers: Jutta Schickore
               Judy Johns Schloegel

Disciplining Microscopic Practice

In this session we aim to examine the means by which microscopic
practices
were established as reliable procedures for the study of biological
entities, and the implications of these practices for conceptual and
disciplinary developments in the life sciences.  We welcome papers
concerning any period of the history of microscopy, and on any aspect or
aspects of observational, representational, and social practice in
microscopic investigations.

We propose to examine questions such as: how were particular preparative
techniques and representational methods accepted as informative? and
what
technical, material, conceptual, disciplinary, aesthetic, or social
factors
and priorities shaped these outcomes?  How did accounts and images of
microscopic entities come to be accepted as accurate? and how were the
meanings of these accounts and images negotiated?  And what role did
these
practices play in the formation of disciplines in the life sciences?

Paper abstracts should be received no later than December 31, 1998.  If
you
are interested in contributing a paper to this session, please contact:

Jutta Schickore
Max Planck Institute for the History of Science
Wilhelmstrasse 44
D-10117 Berlin
Germany
phone: +49.30.22.667.165
email: [log in to unmask]

or

Judy Johns Schloegel
Avenue Parmentier 2A
B-1150 Brussels
Belgium
phone: +32.2.771.0145
email: [log in to unmask]

----
Dr. Jutta Schickore
Max Planck Institute for the History of Science
Wilhelmstr. 44
D-10117 Berlin
Germany

phone: +4930-22667-165