CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2015

From:
Gerhard Holst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 2015 06:04:09 +0000

Hi Claire,

as far as I know, Sony has decided to stop making CCDs. They have now their own line of CMOS image sensors, which is pretty good too and it does them well for the consumer market (which is their main interest). The good Sony image sensors, which have been used in scientific applications were just a nice by-product of their security activities.

For your widefield microscope, it depends on your application and requirements: low light? Higher resolution (which means even lower light per pixel, assuming you are looking at the same scene)? Higher frame rate? Higher intra-scene dynamic? Higher quantum efficiency?
Depending on you applicational interest, you will have some of these requirement, and each combination has its own optimum answer.

I am responsible for the research department in our company, and I think that in the future CMOS and sCMOS image sensors will replace most of the CCD applications. And if you compare prices of CCD and CMOS cameras with similar performance data, always CMOS will win.

In case of the comparison that you mentioned, The ICX694 has similar resolution (little larger), but smaller pixels 4.5 um instead of the 6.5 um of the existing sCMOS sensors, therefore it likely has a smaller fullwell capacity. I would expect about 3-4 e- readout noise, therefore best you would end up with a camera of 12bit dynamics which si certainly a lot less than the nearly 15 bit dynamic of sCMOS. It will also have a lower dark current, that means a camera with this sensor, in case you have many seconds of exposure time will perform better, but you will never get 50 full frames/s out of this CCD chip. So if if you are watching dynamics, it might be wrong.

In the past, I have given presentations about image sensors and cameras, and I was convinced, that if you want good image quality, take a CCD camera. For some years now this is no longer true, the sCMOS image sensors have become better (in total performance data) compared to the best CCDs. In my opinion even for most of the emCCD applications.

with best regards,

Gerhard Holst

Dr. Gerhard Holst
Science & Research