CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2008

From:
Kate Phelps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2008 00:30:40 -0400

Yes, Julio, based on a phone call to tech support at Licor, the scanner uses
a laser for excitation and avalanche photodiodes to detect. At the highest
resolution it can do (20 µm) and using the highest sensitivity setting, the
signal from the section was pretty faint. Since the resolution of the 63X
1.4 NA lens we are using is nominally about 0.2 µm, we probably have at
least 100x less signal on the microscope. 2x2 binning didn't help and we
can't afford the loss of spatial resolution with higher binning. I am
doubtful we can do this with a camera and an arc lamp.  We are thinking
about confocal but even if we get enough excitation with 633, it is not
clear that the PMTs will be able to detect out at 800 nm. I haven't tried a
lower mag, high NA lens. I'll have to see what I have or can borrow.

There doesn't appear to be significant photobleaching on the scanner.
However, it just occurred to me that there might be an autoexposure function
on the scanner that masks photobleaching. I will check.

There IS photobleaching on the microscope: We took a drop of dye solution
and put it on with no neutral density filters in the light path and it
bleached to invisibility in 5 to 10 secs, which was a surprise and certainly
gave us food for thought. After that we were especially careful to focus by
transmitted light and not open the IRDye 800 shutter until the camera was
already acquiring. Still no signal above background.

Thanks for all your helpful thoughts.

Kate