CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2008

From:
Jon Ekman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:39:51 -0600

The newer LUDL stages and Z drives are great. The small footprint of the
Mac5000 is nice too. The difference between Zeiss and LUDL is that during
acquisition of Z stacks we have to time the acquisition to adjust for
settlement of LUDL Z motor after it moves a step in Z. If we don't account
for the adjustment we see jumping when we play back the Z-stack. We do not
have this problem with the Axiovert 200m's z-drive, and I suspect you will
not see it on the motorized Axioimager stands either.

We bought all the LUDL parts (Mac 5000, focus encoder, joystick, scanning
stage, z-motor and filter wheels) as part of a package from a software
vender (MBF Bioscience, makers of SteroInvestigator and Neurolucida) and
then put it all together on the Axioimager A1. We are very happy with it.
There was no real cost benefit between all Zeiss + Marzhauser scanning stage
and MCU 28 controller and the LUDL setup. The big difference is that the
Axiovision software has more refined control over the hardware and does just
about everything we need, imaging wise. MBF bioscience makes a very specific
package and its software control is focused on stereology, which we feel
they excel at. For us, we had the A1 stand already, and wanted to run
StereoInvestigator and Neurolucida on it.

Maintenance wise: if the LUDL Z motor fails, the A1 scope is still
operational with manual z-control and there is easy access to the motor and
controller boards without disturbing the scope setup. If the Z-motor fails
in the Zeiss stand I believe the scope will be down until you, or a service
engineer can break down the scope to get to its internal boards. If you
ensure clean electrical current to the stand through at least a line
conditioner, and avoid soaking the system in water or culture media, the
Z-motor in the Zeiss stands should last a long time.

As for cameras, on the A1, we are using an Olympus Microfire color CCD
camera with the IR blocking filter in the emission filter wheel so we could
image Cy5, on our Axiovert 200M we have an AxioCam HRc  for our histology
folks, and the Roper Cascade 512B for fluorescence imaging.

We purchased the Roper Cascade 512B EMCCD first, 3 years ago, and then built
a system around it; we tried software control from a couple different
venders, but found the Axiovision software to be the best match for what we
wanted out of the system. We have no driver issues with the Axiovision
software and the Roper camera any more, except that the method used for flat
field/shading correction is awkward compared to using the Zeiss camera. We
have close to 130 active users, mainly a mixed batch of biologists and
engineers on the system, the majority use the EMCCD with no complaints. We
have 40 users on the A1.

Cheers,

Jonathan M. Ekman

Imaging Technology Group