CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2011

From:
Mario Faretta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2011 13:51:40 +0200

In our lab there are two Nikon System with PFS and one Olympus ZDC2 all
controlled by Metamorph.  They are also compatible with the Micromanager
(I tested the Olympus and it works fine) free software.
The PFS, once setted the interface position, applies a continuos
feedback to maintain the sample in focus with a minimal time delay being
the excursion limited. If you have to acquire Z stacks it has to be
disactivated and then reactivated. Control softwares allows to memorize
offset positions making it very useful in "Mark and find" timelapse. The
continuos focusing is also fantastic with mosaic acquisitions over large
areas making the procedure very fast and precise.  I think it's
extremely useful and efficient. We tested it on different magnifications
and numerical apertures with good results. The available objectives
working with the PFS cover a wide range of nees, maybe the only
limitation is that they usually have short working distance, but I am
not up to date on the list of available solutions, maybe better for you
to check if this is a strong limitation.
The Olympus ZDC works on the same principle but essentially do not work
continuously: everytime you move, the position of the interface (and
consequently of the focal plane according to the offset you set) has to
be recalculated moving over a range of microns (you can set it).
Essentially it works similarly to the software autofocus, with the
advantage of being quite fast (let's say you have a time delay of the
order of 1 second according to the range you set) and not dependent on
the presence of "features" in the image.
I heard that Olympus is going to release a new version working in a
continuous way,  but it's only a rumor for me no sure info about it.
Probably you already know,  remember that these systems works with a
defined list of objectives only and on glass (or similar optical
properties) substrates (someone told me years ago that in some
conditions also plastic can be tried but I have non experience on it).
Hope it helps
Mario

--
---PLEASE Note the change in telephone number---

--
Mario Faretta
Department of Experimental Oncology