CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2009

From:
Julio Vazquez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2009 09:46:03 -0700
Hi Hanna,

I'm guessing "FRAM" is a typo and you meant FRAP?

I'm no expert in FRAP, but it seems to me that the answer may depend
on the specific question your friend wants to address... is she
interested in tracking histone movement from cytoplasm to nucleus,
inside nucleus, or in specific regions of the nucleus?

This being said, typically FRAP measures the recovery of fluorescence
within a bleached area, from which diffusion rates or other
parameters are calculated. In this respect, the exact area that is
bleached should not matter, as long as the calculations are done
right (although the shape of the bleached are may matter for the
calculations, and the relative sizes of the bleached and unbleached
areas may have some practical importance).

Now, things may be more complicated than this, in which case your
friend is probably better off reading some methods papers before
undertaking the experiments. One example could be:

Carrero et al: Using FRAP and mathematical modeling to determine the
in vivo kinetics of nuclear proteins. Methods 29: 14-28 (2003). There
are many others..

Julio.

--
Julio Vazquez,