CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2010

Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 2010 14:38:07 -0700
Jan,

The back and forth about your problem seems to have muddied things a bit.

About the first question below, WF systems generally speaking have
much higher light throughput and more efficient light sensors for a
higher overall quantum detection efficiency. Thus, less exposure for
the same S/N is usually available using WF. It is not a question of
simply using the same microscope; it is the entire light path that it
is at issue. Only way to be certain comparing two systems is to use a
robust sample (no photobleaching, e.g., fast decay time phosphor
grains).

Deconvolution is a requirement for standard WF 3D imaging. It more
than has a place, it is essential.

If you are limited to a confocal and you need more signal, opening
your pinhole and applying deconvolution is reasonable. For whatever
pinhole size you choose, you will need to acquire a 3D PSF. I believe
you first asked what PSF to use; opinions will vary but my preference
is to acquire bead/reference object PSF data appropriate to the
objective and wavelengths you are using; at minimum, match the
Nyquist criterion in x,y,z. From the reference data for each
objective estimate the theoretical 3D PSF function and use that to
deconvolve your images. (I prefer using the theoretical since it
won't directly add noise to the decon. process)

To actually get any benefit from deconvolution you have to sample
your specimen using Nyquist spacing. It doesn't matter whether you
are using WF or large pinholes. Except for speed, 2D deconvolution is
practically worthless (sorry I am being a little harsh); it is no
better than an Unsharp filter. Actually, using a Fourier filter and
"notching out the very lowest frequencies" does a pretty good job of
removing haze and greatly improves contrast, and it is quite fast.

Mario

>Thanks for all the comments. What would be the advantages of using
>WF over wide-pinhole confocal (assuming it's the same microscope)?
>
>Off list Vincent suggested using 2D deconv. with a theoretical PSF,
>which might be the way to go. It's my understanding that
>deconvolution has a place in WF imaging (which I guess is close to
>what I'm doing), am I correct?
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Jan

Mario M. Moronne, Ph.D.