CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2003

From:
Kevin Braeckmans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:25:24 +0100

Hi all,

I agree with Mario that saturation of the fluorescent dye can lead to a
significantly broadened bleached area. Being involved in FRAP, we have
recently been studying this effect in detail for fluorescein (and have
submitted a paper on our findings). Not only did we see a deformation
(broadening) of the central maximum (Airy disk), also the higher order
diffraction maxima gave a substantial contribution to the bleaching profile.

For example, and as an extreme case, when bleaching a spot with a 10 mW
stationary laser beam for (only!) 1 ms, up to the third diffraction ring
became clearly visible in the bleaching pattern with ~20% bleaching
efficiency compared to the central maximum. As a result, the radius of the
bleached spot was 4 times (!) larger than expected theoretically when only
taking the Airy disk and first order bleaching kinetics into account.
Furthermore, apart from the illumination power, the bleaching profile
appeared also to be strongly dependent on the bleaching time (or scanning
speed for a CSLM).

So broadening of the photobleached area is very well possible and it seems
advisable not to use saturating illumination intensities when doing
photobleaching experiments.

Best regards,

Kevin