CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 1993

From:
"Edward J. Huff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1993 07:16:09 -0500
>I have recently transferred a few image files from a unix computer to
>a Mac. Here is what I did:
[...]
>2  Run ftp on the Mac, and get the files (use binary tranfser mode).
>
>3  Now you have the files on the Mac, but the Mac is too smart to understand
>   that they are tiff images. You'll have to run a program like Norton
>   Disk Doctor to change the file tag from "Ascii text" to "TIFF".

You should obtain Fetch from popular Mac archives.  Free, copyright
Dartmouth College, written by Jim Matthews.  Far superior to Xferit.

Fetch has a preferences item specifying the file type and creator
code for storing binary files, so you won't have to use Norton Utilities.

From the Fetch online help window:

About Fetch...

Fetch is a Macintosh program for transferring files.  It uses the File
Transfer Protocol (FTP) and therefore allows a networked Macintosh to
transfer files with any connected machine that supports FTP.  Fetch
requires a Mac 512KE, System 4.1, and either KSP 1.03 or MacTCP.

If you have questions or comments about Fetch please send them to

The current version of Fetch is 2.1.  The information in this help file may
not be accurate for other versions.

Fetch is Copyright C 1992, Trustees of Dartmouth College.

Fetch is licensed free of charge for use in educational and non-profit
organizations.  Users in for-profit enterprises may obtain an individual
license by sending $25 to:

   Software Sales
   Dartmouth College
   6028 Kiewit Computation Center
   Hanover, NH 03755-3523 USA

Site licenses are also available; please send inquiries to the above
address, or e-mail to [log in to unmask]
--
Edward J. Huff   [log in to unmask]   (212)998-8465
Keck Laboratory for Biomolecular Imaging