CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2012

From:
Craig Brideau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:52:39 -0600

Are you referring to "First Contact"?  It's a sort of polymer goo.  I first
saw it at Photonics West and picked up a bit to try around my lab for
cleaning really dirty mirrors.  It seems to work fairly well on things like
grease, fingerprints and dust.  It does have some glue-like properties when
it dries, but doesn't have a lot of hold strength (so you can peel it off
to clean the optic!) so may not work great as a glue.  On the other hand,
it may be just sticky enough to work as a temporary solution.  If you have
a large contact area I think it would hold fairly well.  Do note that it
doesn't play well with many plastics because of the solvents used to keep
the polymer liquid for the initial application...

Craig