CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2012

From:
Tobias Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:05:37 +0000

Interesting!

Especially because I am looking for a better fixation solution in the first place because I made a total mess out of my dichroic and mirror in my second mounting attempt:

My first approach was to use set screws to fix the glass. Turns out this is a bad idea (as has been said several times now): The stress introduced to the glass completely distorted any image.
My second attempt was to use UV curable optical adhesives (Norland Type OA61 for fixed and NBA107 for reversible mounting). This was an even bigger disaster:
Turns out that a mercury arc lamp without excitation filters does _not_ cure the adhesives overnight _under_ the glass (note to self: mirrors reflect light...). So the dichroics gently sled over the glued surfaces and were nicely and uniformly covered in UV adhesive the next day...

Acetone (or water) followed by the polymer cleaning as you suggested might save them still (I certainly ordered new ones to be safe).

Thanks again for all the suggestions,
Tobias