CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2000

From:
Mario Moronne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:49:50 -0700
Chris,

The only requirement for getting fluorescein in solution is to
deprotonate it, i.e., making it alkaline. Just make a 50 mM stock
solution and pH it to about 8.0 with NaOH or other strong base and
keep it in the dark. You might try 10 uM for your patch concentration
but you can go to higher if you don't get a high enough signal. Doing
a calibration on a BioRad 1024, we got linear response from 0.5 uM up
to about 0.5 mM. The lower concentration requires accumulated frames,
but I think at 10 uM you're okay. 20 or 30 uM might be good, too,
more convenient even. Try and see.

I think I was able to get stock solutions up to 200 mM, but it is
more trouble and you don't need it.

Regards,
Mario