CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2004

From:
ian gibbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 09:15:48 +0930

Hello Louis

There are at least two sources of autofluorescence in most blood
vessels. The most clearly defined (and most problematic!) is elastin.
Nearly all vessels on the arterial side of the circulation have an
internal elastic lamina that lies between the endothelium and the
innermost layer of smooth muscle cells. Bigger vessels also have an
external elastic lamina lying just outside the outermost smooth muscle
cells, although it is usually much thinner than the internal lamina.
The largest vessels have a series of layers of elastin between the
smooth muscle layers. Even smaller "muscular" arteries often have
strands of elastin between the muscle cells. Elastin is intensely
fluorescent over a range of excitation wavelengths.

Most of the extracellular material between the smooth muscle and in the
adventitia layer is collagen which is also autofluorescent. In smaller
vessels, it's usually not a problem but in larger ones, there can be
significant fluorescence from bundles of collagen fibres.

As pointed out by Mark, you can use toluidine blue to try to mask the
autofluorescence, but in our experience this only works on some vessels
and when you are only using a green fluorophore.

it's worth noting that there are several papers out there that have
reported various localisation of things in blood vessels but are
actually autofluorescent elastin / collagen fibres...

hope that helps

IAN

On Thursday, July 8, 2004, at 03:49  AM, Louis Villeneuve wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am doing immunofluoresce studies in mouse aorta section (14um).  I
> can see a lot of autofluorescence in  the basal lamina and also in
> elastic fibers between layer of smooth muscle cells.  I mostly obseve
> it in the FiTC range (excitation with laser Ar 488nm, dichroic 488/543
> on a LSM 510 and LP505 for filter).  What is the molecule or component
> that makes that autofluorescence?
>

> Thanks for the answers!!!
>
> Louis
>
> Louis R. Villeneuve
> Assistant de recherche - microscope  confocal
> Institut de Cardiologie de Montréal- Centre de Recherche
> 5000 est Bélanger, Montréal
> Québec , Canada
> H1T 1C8
>
> 514-376-3330 ext3511