CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 1999

From:
Aryeh Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 1999 14:44:34 +0200
Beat Ludin wrote:

> >  >
> >  > 1. The SPOT camera is certainly a very good all-in-one choice.
> >  >

> >The main problem with the slow scan cameras (like the SPOT) is focussing
> >with high NA lenses for weak fluorescence.
>
> However, Kathy was asking for a hi-res camera for H/E sections, so
> focusing through the ocular should work fine as long as the camera is
> properly parfocalized. Sensitivity is not an issue for this
> application - but dynamic range and resolution are. In both respects,
> the SPOT series should beat the DVC (36bit color vs. 30bit color,
> 1300x1000 true color vs. 1300x1000 interpolated color).

Agreed, and we get wonderful images with our CRI Real-14, which uses the
same chip as the SPOT-2 and the same LCTF (but unfortunately we bought
it 1/2 year before the KAF-1400E was released :-( ). If you have enough light,
these cameras are great and easy to use. The only other issue then is price.

--aryeh
--
Aryeh Weiss                          | email: [log in to unmask]
Department of Electronics            | URL:   http://optics.jct.ac.il/~aryeh