CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2008

From:
Mario Moronne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:21:42 -0700

Farid,

I agree with each of the responses to your question, which to summarize:

1) use paraformaldehyde made fresh which provides better more
extended crosslinking because it remains a polymer for awhile until
reverting to formaldehyde monomers.

2) proper dehydration is essential if using EtOH. This means ~70%
EtOH, 80%, 90%, and finally absolute EtOH. This can still cause
serious artifacts because of rearrangement of lipid membranes and
extraction of some proteins and lipids. Without complete dehydration,
the paraffin embedding can create apparent vacuolar structures.

3) Polylysine (PL) can promote dye sticking if the polylysine has not
been fully blocked. The PF-amino binding is unstable unless the
Schiff's base is reduced say with sodium borohydride or similar
reducing agent. The polyamino groups can lead to electrostatic
binding of negatively charged stains. This can be prevented by
treating with fresh dilute (~ 1 mM) succinic anhydride or acetic
anhydride before staining.

4) I have always had severe background staining using plastic
coverslips with or without PL. Good for growing cells but their
hydrophobicity really causes problems with a lot of stains because of
the amphoteric nature of most dye molecules. I gave up on plastic
decades ago. PL and 5 ug/ml fibronectin on coverslips attach cells
for growing is good most the cell types I've used.

5) The H & E staining even if you are not doing the unfortunate
paraffin embedding, will never give good nuclear DNA staining
compared to DAPI, Hoechst, and Draq5. The two former stains are minor
groove labels that work very well for nuclear DNA staining. Almost
all other nucleic acid stains label all nucleic acids whether they
are mitochondrial DNA, RNA, or any other _NA. I also agree that using
a much higher DAPI concentration is sensible. Given the density of
DNA in the nucleus you have to worry about saturating the DNA. Flow
Cy. commonly uses 3 ug/ml which makes for reasonably quantitative
analysis and growth stage evaluation using flow.

I have to stop no, but feel free to email me the images you are
having problems with. I am curious to see them.

good luck,

Mario