CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2012

From:
Craig Brideau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2012 12:02:22 -0600

I'm actually starting to become a fan of kit-bash laser scanning
microscopes these days.  They are often built with generic parts so if
something burns out or the like you can often find replacement parts
easily, or find something 'close enough' to substitute in.  A lot of optics
and mechanics vendors are beginning to sell these kits, and it gives you
the luxury of picking and choosing various components.  The key drawback to
this approach is software, but if you go with a good open source solution
like the ever-popular ScanImage or the like you can get what you need.
 With this approach you should be able to keep a `scope going for decades
if you keep backups of all the software and carefully document your design
so you remember what parts are where...

Craig