CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2012

From:
Andrew York <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2012 10:39:16 -0400

 Sadly I haven't done head-to-head comparisons, but we've been happy using
the 60x silicone objective you mention, and we've also been happy with our
Olympus 60x 1.2 water objective on a different system. We've used the
silicone for single cells, tissue samples, and embryos, and gotten
excellent results >50 microns deep. We've used the water objective
primarily in single cells 10 microns thick or less.

 For both objectives I've found the correction collar to be fairly
important, and the setting that gives best results is not always what you
would expect from the specified coverslip thickness. For the water
objective, the tilt of the coverslip is extremely important (as described
here:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15369482 ).

 If you really care about high resolution, demo several of each objective,
and pick the one that has the best PSF. We've noticed substantial
performance variation for supposedly identical objectives. I think you can
also ask Olympus for a "PSF-grade" objective. I think this just means they
pick out a good one for you. I'm not sure there's enough silicone
objectives to be choosy, but it's worth a shot. Neither of our objectives
is "PSF-grade", so I can't say how much better they are.