CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2012

From:
Matthew Nicholas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:00:53 -0400

Hi Tobias,
We've had good luck with 732 RTV "multipurpose sealant" from Dow. Ours
is clear, but I believe they also make it in black. This was suggested
to us by Chroma Technology. It is basically like a silicone sealant, but
can be used in small amount to do exactly what you want. When it dries,
it keeps the parts secure, but still has a little 'give' so that it does
not induce strain in the mirror that could deform the surface (this was
a major problem for us using other hard-drying glues, and lead to
awful-looking interference patterns in profiles of lasers reflected off
the distorted surfaces of the mirrors). If you need to get the component
off later, it is relatively easy using a scalpel, and any residue can be
carefully removed with ethanol and a Q-tip (I try to keep the glue
entirely off the optical surface, however).

Best of luck,
Matt

--
Matthew Nicholas
Medical Scientist Training Program Student