CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

January 2002

From:
George Ring <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:11:12 -0500

Our Nikon Rep gave us the figure that a mercury lamp has a lifetime
of 200 hrs OR 100 starts.  Newer bulbs have a lifetime of 300 hrs.
This would mean that if the microscope will be used within 2-3 hours,
it is more economical to leave it on.  Further, the lamp has to be
completely cool before restarting or else it is likely to explode.  I
inform our users to wait AT LEAST 30 minutes before re-igniting the
lamp.  This might be more than absolutely necessary, but I would
rather err on the side of caution.  A mercury lamp costs about $130
which comes to about $0.45 to $0.65 per hour.  Considering cost of
thousand(s) of dollars in repair of the microscope after an exploded
bulb, not to mention the hassle of evacuating the facillity because
of mercury contamination, it is better to leave it on a few extra
minutes.

George

--

George Ring, Ph.D.