CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2012

From:
James Denegre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2012 17:24:30 +0000

We cover the medium with a thin layer of mineral oil, which has been
saturated with gas; in our case CO2/O2/N2, at 37 degrees, and don't use
the lid.  Our mineral oil is from Sigma, other mineral oils may extract
ingredients from the medium. When saturated, gas exchange across the oil
is fine, as the absorption coefficients of CO2 and O2 are similar to those
in water (Kubie, JBC, 1927). We perform imaging for up to five days in
this manner, with no loss of medium and no condensation.

Jim Denegre
The Jackson Laboratory