CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2003

From:
"Mario M. Moronne" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 18:02:24 -0700

To All,

Just to add a comment to Jim's query, it is not just proteins/nucleic
acids that are likely to be affected by reactive species, but
unsaturated lipid side chains can form carbon centered radicals that
propagate crosslinking of the side chains in membrane bilayers. Once
the process starts, it is auto-catalytic. This is fine when linseed
oil coating a piece of wood but not so good for bilayers. In fact,
one might create domains that contain nanoscopic holes, as well as,
rigid domains with very different diffusion constants from the native
membrane. I would be interested in any references that have made a
study of these factors.

Mario

Mario M. Moronne, Ph.D.
NanoMed Technologies LLC