CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2006

From:
Jennifer Waters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2006 13:31:13 -0400

Vectashield is a horrible mounting media for fluorescence because it is not
water soluble - so you wind up with water droplets throughout the media that
scatter light everywhere.  This might have added enough background to drown
out the real signal.  I would believe what I saw with the Prolong.  Better
yet, make your own mounting media:

20mM Tris pH 8.0 (final concentration)
0.5% N-propyl gallate
90% Glycerol
Warm to 37C and vortex to get into solution
Store at 4oC

Best, Jennifer

--
Jennifer Waters, Ph.D.
Nikon Imaging Center at Harvard Medical School