CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2016

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 20 Mar 2016 09:51:03 -0500

Hi Michael,

Contrast limited? ... only if using eyes.

Video (1970s+, Reynolds, Shinya Inoue, Robert & Nina Allen, later
"Nanovid" folks, Dodt NIR-VEC-DIC),
computer frame grabber background subtraction + offset (late 1980s, ex.
Matrox MVP-AT board and Image-1/AT) and more recently (very late 1980s,
early 1990s)
scientific digital CCD cameras (ex. Photometrics Star-1, Hamamatsu
digital CCDs [C4742?]) and background subtraction in computer memory.

Reference (which can correct any of my dates): Shinya Inoue, 1986 Video
Microscopy (or more recently Inoue & Spring).

//

An early review on video (brightfield is not mentioned in the abstract)
- Reynolds 1972 PubMed 4404351

George T. Reynolds

      Image intersification applied to biological problems

Quarterly Reviews of Biophysics
<http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayJournal?jid=QRB> /Volume  5
<http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayBackIssues?jid=QRB&volumeId=5> /Issue 03
<http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayIssue?jid=QRB&volumeId=5&seriesId=0&issueId=03> /
August 1972, pp 295 - 347

DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0033583500000974(About DOI
<http://journals.cambridge.org/action/stream?pageId=3624&level=2&sessionId=F32BC6B4AAE6DB50F8D0214BB5DF4743.journals#30>),

In many important types of observations in biological research, the
information provided by the specimens is in the form of photons-quanta
of visible light, u.v., or X-rays. The process of observation becomes
one of recording this information in useful form, with as high an
efficiency as possible. The problem becomes particularly important when
for some reason or other the total number or rate of quanta provided by
the specimen is small. Examples of such limitations are included in the
following: (i) Processes permitting only low-intensity illumination in
order not to interfere with the biological processes under observation.
(ii) Processes changing very rapidly and requiring rapid sequence
recording. (iii) Processes providing only a limited number of photons
per event, such as bioluminescence. (iv) Processes in which radioactive
tracers are utilized, and observation of radioactivity is desirable at
low specific activity or within short time intervals. (v) X-ray
diffraction processes where the specimen is weakly diffracting or where
the X-ray intensity must be kept low in order not to damage the
specimen. (vi) Processes involving the observation of fluorescence,
where the intensity is low because of limitations on the amount of
tagging material.

George