CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2008

From:
"MODEL, MICHAEL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 11:08:08 -0400

Dear Matt:

My understanding is that PMT generates voltage and passes it on to an electronic circuit. Additionally, you may subtract an offset voltage from the PMT output. Then an electronic amplifier can multiply all that by a constant factor.

The general relationship between the PMT readout and parameters is

Signal = (A-B*Offset)*Gain + Cv*Gain*E

Here A and B are coefficients, CV is the voltage-dependent amplification of PMT (depends on voltage non-linearly, as pVk) and E is the intensity coming from the sample. As long as Offset ˜ A/B, the first addend in this equation is equal to the dark level. However, if the offset is set too high (greater than A/B), the dark level does not enter the equation for the signal in a simple way and non-linearity may occur, especially at high gain and low intensity levels.

Mike Model