CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2012

From:
Chris Booth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2012 08:33:02 -0500

Hey George,
I would like to address the way that it would possibly sound to someone who
isn't currently knowledgeable about advanced microscopy techniques, and not
on this list serve like we are. Personally, I think the way that it is worded could
create confusion as far as what type of microscopy/microscopies you are
talking about. When you say "using confocal and light sheet fluorescence
microscopies" it would read that you are using multiple types of microscopy,
both confocal and light sheet fluorescence, due to the plural of microscopy.
Grammatically I think this is correct, but it doesn't sound as good. However, if
you were to say "using confocal and light sheet fluorescence microscopy" it
reads as if the imaging technique used was confocal/light sheet fluorescence
microscopy, which all of us on this listserve understand as two completely
different techniques, but to a foreigner of advanced microscopy, they wouldn't
know the difference and it would be confusing. Therefore, I think grammatically
it would be better if you added the word "both" before confocal and light
sheet... thus it would read "...using both confocal and light sheet microscopy" In
this case, microscopy would be the correct form since you are talking about a
single confocal microscopy technique and a single light sheet technique due to
the separation provided by the word both. I think the reviewer is overseeing the
fact that microscopies is talking about multiple types/forms of microscopy
techniques while microscopy is only talking about a single instance. Thus,
without the word both before confocal OR the plural of microscopy, there is no
indication of difference between confocal and light sheet microscopy techniques.
I hope this helps!
-Chris