CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2011

From:
Craig Brideau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2011 23:48:31 -0600

Lenses designed for 2P microscopy might help here.  They tend to have more
IR correction.  Olympus' XLUMPLFLN or LUMP/IR water dipping lenses are an
example.  I think most manufacturers have similar lenses.  You will probably
need to tweak your collection optics however.  The good news is that PMTs
are fairly tolerant of beam focus differences...  The bad news is that your
confocal pinhole isn't, and for longer wavelengths you will need to open it
up anyway.

On a related note, I'm waiting for somebody to use a Cr:Forsterite laser to
do 2 photon with these NIR dyes.  Cr:Forsterite is similar to Ti:Saph, but
at 1200-1300nm so it can 2P excite dyes that are further into the NIR.  The
main limit right now seems to be in the optics.

Craig