CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2008

From:
"Nowell, Cameron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2008 19:52:36 +1000
Hi Christophe,
                     The software package is not the only thing you should consider. The type (and size) of the data sets you will be analysing will govern what to buy. We run MetaMorph, ImageJ, Imaris, Volicty and FluoView on our systems. The systems we have range from older P4 desktops and laptops up to newer 2 x 4 Core Xeon Workstations with 16 or 32 GB of RAM in them.

The most basic of our systems will run metamorph for basic functions such as intensity mersurments, percentage stain and simple cell tracking. The higher end systems are for larger live cell experiments (>200GB) and 3D/4D/5D rendering of data.

$5000 will buy you a high end gaming system that i woudl assume woudl meet most of your needs. The more memory you can fit in the better it will all run. Processing power will help things along a bit but if you don't have enough memory the dastest CPU in the world won't help you.

If you are going to go over 3GB of RAM then you need to goto 64bit Windows. While XP and Vista 32 bit can theoretically support 4GB of RAM, the GB between 3 and 4 is mostly wasted shadowing the video RAM

GPU power is only important if you want to do heavy 3D modeling. There have been posts on graphics cards recently on this list, have a search through the archives and you should be able to find them

Cheers

Cam

Cameron Nowell
Research and Microscopy Core Facility