CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2009

From:
Chris Tully <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:39:02 -0400
I am not actually in an imaging facility, but some thoughts based on my
experiences with microscopy and imaging, historic preservation, electricity
and modern building science:

1) Yes, do make sure that your spaces (on what ever floor) are as far
removed (or shielded) from the main electrical chase(s) as possible.  This
_MAY_ be achievable by deliberately grounding the embedded rebar in a
concrete wall - check with your local EE department.  In my no so humble
opinion, there is nothing worse than having to work on a scope inside a
Faraday cage because there is too much electrical interference...

2) If I were desiging a microscopy facility in a brand new building, I would
seriously investigate the passive and active vibration isolation options for
earthquake "proofing" buildings.  I have seen every thing from a rubber and
steel plate stack to active monitoring and shifting of a counter weight.  My
thought here is to vibration isolate the entire lab - depending on how many
scopes you have and how many air tables you already have this may well be
cost effective. I would think that something passive would be relatively
cost effective and might go a long way towards simplifying your life down
the road.  Given that I have seen more than one confocal necessarily sitting
on an air table in a basement lab, I would suggest this for any new facility
being built from the ground up.  I will also state that I have personally
seen the effects of vibration in EVERY scope I have used - yes I tend to
force the issue just to verify the quality of image images when I am not
deliberately causing vibration.

3) Having worked in a Class 1000 clean room lab that was always under a
slight positive pressure, there are pluses and minuses.  On the plus side,
almost no dust ever built up in side the positive pressure rooms.  On the
down side we had to go through an air lock room to avoid too strong of a
draft out of the lab.  We did have special synthetic fiber lab coats (no
bunny suites) and we each had to bring in a pair of all leather shoes to
keep in the locker room for use exclusively in the clean room.  The upside
for a micro facility would be less time spent cleaning dust off of equipment
and worrying about dust covers.  You could achieve all of this by specifying
an ISO 6 (Formerly Class 1000) clean room.  Even if you allowed people to
come an go in street clothes/shoes, keeping a fresh sticky mat at the
entrance would keep street dirt to a minimum and the filtering implied by a
ISO 6 would help a lot too.  Of course this would up the cost a bit...

Chris Tully
Microscopy and Image Analysis Expert
240-888-1021
http://www.linkedin.com/in/christully